Public Works

Welcome ~ from Dennis Henne, Director of Public Works & Community Development!

Union Gap’s Public Works Department staff is dedicated to providing efficient customer service while maintaining the city’s public infrastructure. Services and divisions within this department are:

  • Parks
  • Sewer
  • Solid Waste (Garbage & Recycling)
  • Stormwater
  • Street
  • Water
  • Janitorial
  • Senior Center

We are located at 102 West Ahtanum Road.  Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or comments.

Travel Advisory ~ South UG

Message from the Washington State Department of Transportation; South Central Region; Union Gap

A month-long traffic revision starts in south Union Gap on September 11, 2019.

As construction crews make progress, improving access to and from I-82 and south Union Gap, travelers will experience some delays in September and October. A 30-day traffic revision will start the evening of Wednesday, September 11, 2019. During that time, crews will make repairs to the bridge that connects northbound US 97 to westbound I-82 and construct the new eastbound off ramp.

Here are the traffic revisions:

• Westbound travelers on I-82 will not be able to access the south Union Gap off ramp (Exit 38). The I-82 Valley Mall Boulevard exit will remain open at all times as an alternate route.

• Northbound travelers on US 97 will be able to access south Union Gap.

• Northbound travelers on US 97 will follow detour signs to reconnect to westbound I-82.

Signed detours will direct travelers through the project area and message boards, along the highway, will provide advance notice of traffic revisions. Business in south Union Gap will remain open through construction.

If you have any questions, please contact Summer Derrey at 509.577.1750.

Free Spring Clean-Up Program

“Spring Clean-Up” is the City’s annual event held the second Saturday of May from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.; this program is sponsored by the City of Union Gap and Basin Disposal.

The next annual “Spring Clean-Up” is scheduled for May 9, 2020.

There are normally three (3) disposal sites, set-up throughout the City, for residents to dispose of their yard waste. The site locations are as follows:

  • City Hall parking lot @ 107 West Ahtanum Road; next to the Fire Station
  • Ray’s Wholesale Meats parking lot @ 2112 South 3rd Avenue
  • Cahalan Park parking lot @ 2100 South 18th Street

This FREE service is for Union Gap residents only and the sites are for yard waste only.

Request for Proposals


None at this time


VMB Resurfacing 2017


Regional Beltway Connector Project

Public Open House


None at this time


The City of Union Gap and Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) are hosting a combined public open house style meeting to provide information, and receive comments, on the City’s Regional Beltway Connector Project and WSDOT’s South Union Gap Interchange Project.  When:  Tuesday, February 6, 2018 between 4-6 p.m.  Where:  Union Gap Activities Building; 1000 Ahtanum Road  For more information, please see Open House; Regional Beltway Project .

Public Hearings

Public Hearings are held to receive any and all public comments regarding a specific topic:


09.09.19     UG Transit Development Plan 2020 – 2025


08.13.18     Charter Communication Franchise Agreement

06.11.18     Six Year Transportation Improvement Program 2019 to 2024

10.09.17     Water Use Efficiency Plan Update

11.27.17     Surplus Airport Property

11.27.17     Closed Record – Sutherland Business Park

03.12.18      Six Year Transportation Improvement Program 2018 to 2023

Call Before You Dig

If you are planning to install an underground sprinkler system, new fence or plant shrubs/trees around your property you must call the Utility Notification Center. For your safety, PLUS it’s the law, you must notify the Utility Notification Center @ 1.800.424.5555 (or 8-1-1), at least two (2) working days (excluding weekends/holidays) before you plan to dig. One call is all it takes to have ALL underground utility facilities located – plus, this service is free of charge! For more information please go to

We want to hear from you!

Do you have an idea for our Departments’ web pages?  Is there something you are looking for but not able to find?  Please send comments or ideas to mailto: Our website is here for you and your informational purposes. We want to provide excellent customer service to meet your needs; please let us know if we can assist in improving this site for you.



If you see an environmental spill, please report the incident to the WA State Department of Ecology – Emergency Spill Response at 509.575.2490.  For more information, please log on to