The functions of the Building Division are to work with citizens, property owners, contractors, architects, and building designers to ensure all construction that occurs within the City of Union Gap meets code. Building compliance is achieved by following the International Building, Mechanical, Plumbing and Energy Codes as adopted and amended by the State of Washington. With proper permitting, plan review, and inspections this process.

How do I apply for a permit?

Building plans are required for most building permit applications. The level of complexity of the building plans will depend on the type of building project. New structures, extensive remodels and tenant improvements will require detailed plan sets prepared by qualified professional engineers and/or architects. Small projects such as patio covers, carports, or decks require more simplified plans and can be prepared by property owners or contractors.

All Building, Plumbing, Mechanical & Fire Code permits require a General Application for Construction.

For Residential we require:

For Commercial we require:

For Fire Code Applications we required:

  • Three (3) sets of plans and any calculations related to the equipment applied for.

Do I have to get a permit?

If you are doing any building or projects within the City of Union Gap limits, please contact our office at 509-575-3638 to further assist you. There are many factors which determine if you will need a permit for the work you are proposing.

Can I mail in my application?

If you are mailing in an application with large scale plans, please send them direct to:

City of Union Gap CDD
3106 S. 1st Street
Union Gap, Washington 98903

Can I email my application?

Currently we only allow the following permit applications to be submitted by email: signs, stand-alone mechanical or plumbing, fence, roof, or demolition permits. Permits over 5 pages must be mailed in.

How much will my permit be?

Building permit fees are based on the valuation of the work completed on the cost per square foot for the type of construction and use. In order to request an estimate or your project you will need to complete the following Estimate Request Form. We prefer cash or check, but can accept VISA or MasterCard. Payments can be made over the phone by calling 509-575-3638.

How long will it take to get my permit?

Generally building permit applications can take up to 2-3 weeks for review, depending on how many applications are currently submitted. In some cases Fire Plan Review and Utilities will need to be reviewed as well. For smaller projects (such as residential roof, fence, stand-alone plumbing or mechanical permits) they can be issued over the counter. For additional questions, please contact our office at 509-575-3638.

Request an Inspection

Inspections can be requested by phone at 509.575.3638 and will be returned within 24 hours of the next business day. Please note that we are closed on Fridays and all major Holidays. Please have your permit number, site address, type of inspection and contact information available when you call.

Request Building Records

All public records must be requested through our Clerks office.